Registration for 2023-2024 school year begins January 3, 2023 at 8 AM.
Below you will find policies regarding: Toilet Training, Clothing , Outside Play, School Bags, Snacks, Illness, Arrival and Dismissal, Car Pool, Special Visitors, Discipline, and Weather
St. Mark’s Preschool will provide school bags for the children to use daily. Each school bag must be labeled in permanent marker or paint on the outside of the bag with the child’s first and last name. Bags will be available for pick up on Parent Night or in the Preschool office. A folder will be placed in your child’s bag. Please leave the folder in the bag throughout the school year for communication purposes. When you need to send a note to the teacher, send in a tuition payment or other communications to the school, place it in the folder. Teachers will check them daily.
Common illnesses requiring exclusion from school
- Fever The child will not return to school until temperature has been normal for 24 hours
- Diarrhea Defined as an increased number of stools compared with the child’s normal pattern, with increased stool water and/or decreased form. Exclusion until stool returns to normal.
- Vomiting One time in the previous 24 hours, exclusion mandated.
- Mouth Sores with Drooling Exclusion unless the child’s physician states the child is non-infectious.
- Rash with Fever/Behavior Change Exclusion until a physician has determined the illness not to be a communicable disease.
- Conjunctivitis (Pink Eye) Defines as pink or red conjunctiva with white or yellow eye discharge, often with matted eyelids after sleep and including a child with eye pain or redness of the eyelids or skin surrounding the eye, exclusion until 24 hours after treatment began.
- Infestation (head lice, pin worm,ring worm, scabies) Exclusion until at least 24 hours after treatment began. Parents have prime responsibility of in the prevention and management of head lice cases through regular checks of their children’s hair and starting immediate treatment when head lice is detected. Please contact the preschool immediately. Confidentiality will be maintained.
- Impetigo Exclusion until 24 hours after treatment began.
- Strep Throat Exclusion until 24 hours after treatment began and until the child has been without fever for 24 hours.
- Chicken Pox Exclusion until 7 days after onset of rash or until all lesions have dried and crusted.
- Measles & Rubella Exclusion until 7 days after rash appears.
Arrival and Dismissal
- As vehicles enter the parking lot, please form four lines along the sidewalk, parallel to the playground. The first vehicle should pull up next to the designated cones. When the first line is parallel to the end of the playground, it is time to begin the second line. (So on for the third line)
- Turn off your engine when the flag is displayed. Do not restart your engine until all children are inside the building.
- Children must stay in their vehicles until the director displays the flag. The children may then enter the building.
- You may start your engines when the director steps off the sidewalk into the parking lot.
- Exit the lot when your row is dismissed. Please do not jump between lines or parked cars.
- If you arrive after the flag is displayed, you are late. Do not join a line. Wait until all cars have exited the parking lot and walk your child into the building. Door #3 will lock once it is shut.
- If the door is closed and the school day has begun, you must enter the school through door #4. All preschool doors will remain locked.
- As vehicles enter the parking lot, again form three or four lines along the sidewalk and follow the procedure for arrival. If you are late and the children are out, do not join a line, but park.
- Turn off your engine when the children begin to exit the building.
- Meet your child along the sidewalk by door #3 or #4. Children are not permitted in the parking lot without adult supervision. Seat and buckle up your child as quickly as possible.
- When the director steps off the sidewalk, you may start your engines. The lines will be dismissed once everyone is in their vehicle.
- Exit the parking lot in an orderly fashion. Please do not jump between lines
- Please limit your discussion with teachers and friends during dismissal so we can safely and efficiently proceed with the carpool line.
** Late Pick-up Fees: A $10.00 late fee will be charged for children who are picked up later than 10 minutes after their class dismissal time.
Puppy (and sibling) Arrival & Dismissal
Due to the young age of the Puppy class, a different arrival and dismissal procedure is warranted. Older siblings of children in these classes will follow these procedures on days when their siblings are in school. Arrival Parents should park their cars in the parking lot by the 126th Street entrance (door #5). When the door is opened, please walk your child into the building using door #5. At 9:00 AM, a teacher will open the classroom doors to greet your children. Siblings will be directed to their proper class while parents say good-bye just outside the classroom door. Dismissal Parents should park their cars in the parking lot by the 126th Street entrance (door #5). At 12:00 PM, the classroom door will be opened. Children will be released to their parents from the classroom. Exit the building using entrance #5.
Car Pool Policy
Please be advised that any form of hitting, corporal punishment, abusive language, ridicule, harsh or humiliating or frightening treatment is against our philosophy. NONE of these behaviors will take place at St. Mark’s Preschool.
We try to be as consistent as possible with our classroom rules so that the children know what is expected of them. We find that this helps the children and leads to their success. Our entire discipline policy will be included in the fall handbook or is available during visits to St. Marks.
If Carmel Clay Schools are under a two-hour delay, our morning classes will be on a one-hour delay. On delay days, St. Mark’s Preschool will start at 10:00 AM. Dismissal time will remain the same.
Remember to use your own discretion. If school has not been cancelled, but you feel the weather is too hazardous, you may call the school to notify your child’s teachers that he/she will be absent for that day.
In case of extreme weather at arrival or dismissal time, we may ask that parents come into the building to pick up their children.
Note: We will adjust the tuition payment after three classes have been canceled due to weather.