Monthly Mission Focus – Habitat for Humanity
Greater Indy Habitat for Humanity offers homeownership opportunities to low-income individuals and families who are unable to obtain conventional home financing.
- In Indiana, 1 in 9 households spend half or more of their income on housing
- Average wage needed for a 2-bedroom rental is $16.57/hour
- Greater Indy Habitat’s home construction costs have more than doubled in the past 5 years
Research shows that Habitat for Humanity’s homeownership program leads to benefits beyond housing:
- improved quality of life and mental health
- a decreased reliance on social services
- improved academic achievement of children
- increased prosperity of families as well as the entire community
Last year Greater Indy Habitat was able to exceed their goal and build 27 homes! They are aiming high again, in response to an even greater rise in the number of homes needed. St. Mark’s continues to partner with Habitat on build sites as well as volunteers who are involved in their mentorship program. Signups for our next build date coming soon!
Habitat for Humanity FAITH BUILD: July 28 & August 27
Join St. Mark’s UMC and Greater Indy Habitat for Humanity to “Build on Faith”. This Faith Build will join nearly twenty congregations in partnering to build a safe and affordable home for the Polk Family! We need 12 volunteers (age 16 and older) on each build date:
- Thursday, July 28: framing
- Saturday, August 27: siding & exterior trip
- No experience needed
- Lunch provided
Click HERE to Sign up or Contact Joe or Diane Newton for questions at email@example.com.