Family Promise / Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN)
Family Promise is a nonprofit organization, founded in 1994, in response to a crisis of family homelessness. While most traditional shelters separate by gender, Family Promise keeps families together, battling homelessness, while they work to get back on their feet. As the gap between housing costs and income continues to widen, more and more families are at risk of homelessness, increasing the likelihood families will separate, children will fall behind in school, and eventually drop out.
The Interfaith Hospitality Network, Family Promise’s core program, is a coordinated response of the faith community that provides emergency food & shelter, offers individual skill development & rehabilitation, advocates for economic stability and strives to end homelessness for the guests they serve. St. Mark’s has been a long-time partner and supporter of IHN. When the pandemic hindered congregations’ ability to host families, the Apartment Shelter Program was initiated. There are now 20 families in apartment shelters, 20 families in After Care, and 5 families in the Diversion Program. For more info visit www.fpgi.org.
Hosting Families in 2021 – August 29
IHN resumes in summer 2021! St. Mark’s will be hosting again, one week only this year, August 29, 2021. More info and sign ups to help coming in July.
St. Mark’s has been a long-time partner of Interfaith Hospitality Network, the hallmark program of Family Promise. IHN is a coordinated response of the faith community that provides emergency food & shelter, offers individual skill development & rehabilitation, advocates for economic stability and strives to end homelessness for the guests they serve. Each congregation in the network takes turns furnishing overnight lodging and meals during their assigned week, several times each year. Our role as volunteers is fundamental to this program – we can make a difference by offering dignified compassionate assistance to families who have lost their homes.
Click here to make a financial donation to Family Promise or use the mission envelope in the Sunday bulletin. You may also help by donating items listed below. These donations may be placed in a bin inside Door #2 at St. Mark’s.
Volunteer needs include:
- Volunteer for a leadership position: With only one hosting week this year it’s the perfect time to transition into these roles. Mentoring, instructions and guidance provided. Please contact Jeff Keyt, email@example.com or Stephanie Cohen, firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
- IHN Dinner Host Coordinator:-Ensure dinner hosts for each evening understand their duties, communicate updates as needed during the week
- Van Driver Coordinator-Ensure van drivers understand their duties, able to drive a 15-passenger van, must be 25 years or older.
Supply Drive – Personal Hygiene Needs:
- Paper towels
- Toilet paper
- Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- Liquid Hand Soap dispensers
- Liquid Hand Soap Refill (32 + Oz)
- Small First Aid Kit
- Shower Liner with rings
- Brillo pads (1 box of 12 +)
- Dish Soap (32 ozs)
- Laundry detergent (60 + loads)
- 13 gallon Trash bags (box of 36+)
- Dryer sheets (box of 60+)
- Anti-bacterial Multi Surface Cleaner
- Pillows (New only, in original wrapping)