Family Promise / Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN)
Family Promise is a nonprofit organization, founded in 1994, in response to a crisis of family homelessness. While most traditional shelters separate by gender, Family Promise keeps families together, battling homelessness, while they work to get back on their feet. As the gap between housing costs and income continues to widen, more and more families are at risk of homelessness, increasing the likelihood families will separate, children will fall behind in school, and eventually drop out.
The Interfaith Hospitality Network, Family Promise’s core program, is a coordinated response of the faith community that provides emergency food & shelter, offers individual skill development & rehabilitation, advocates for economic stability and strives to end homelessness for the guests they serve. St. Mark’s has been a long-time partner and supporter of IHN. When the pandemic hindered congregations’ ability to host families, the Apartment Shelter Program was initiated. There are now 20 families in apartment shelters, 20 families in After Care, and 5 families in the Diversion Program. For more info visit www.fpgi.org.
Hosting Families in 2021 – September 19-26
IHN resumes in summer 2021! St. Mark’s will be hosting again, one week only this year, September 19, 2021. More info and sign ups to help coming in July.
St. Mark’s has been a long-time partner of Interfaith Hospitality Network, the hallmark program of Family Promise. IHN is a coordinated response of the faith community that provides emergency food & shelter, offers individual skill development & rehabilitation, advocates for economic stability and strives to end homelessness for the guests they serve. Each congregation in the network takes turns furnishing overnight lodging and meals during their assigned week, several times each year. Our role as volunteers is fundamental to this program – we can make a difference by offering dignified compassionate assistance to families who have lost their homes.
Click here to make a financial donation to Family Promise or use the mission envelope in the Sunday bulletin.
Volunteer needs include:
- Dinner hosts (5:00-8:00 p.m.) serve and share a prepared meal with our guests, provide companionship & fellowship, help with clean up after dinner
- Meal preparation – Prepare part of a meal for 10-15 people and deliver it to St. Mark’s
- Provide pantry food – provide store-bought breakfast & lunch foods
- Overnight hosts (8:00 p.m.–7:00 a.m.) – be part of a team that spends the night at St. Mark’s and is on-hand to assist guests
- Set up, tear down and clean up – help set up beds and rooms on September 19, and/or help remove beds and clean up on September 26
- Transportation – drive the IHN van between St. Mark’s and the IHN Day Center
Signups will begin early August, on stmarkscarmel.org/signups. Contact Jeff Keyt email@example.com or 239-201-8207 or Stephanie Cohen firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-846-4912 for more information.
Seeking IHN Van Driver Coordinator:
Van Driver Coordinator needed 2-3 times per year (only once in 2021) to coordinate drivers providing transportation for our IHN guest families!
- Must be 25 years or older
- Able to drive a 15-passenger van
- Ensures van drivers understand their duties
Contact Jeff Keyt at email@example.com with interest or questions.